Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Familycation to Utah (Part 1/3)

We flew out to Utah to visit family for a week and a day. Here's the time spent formula: 2 1/2 days with Rob's sister Heidi, 2 1/2 days with my mother's parents, 2 days with my dad's family = 1 busy and great familycation!

Wednesday
On the flight out Asher was able to chat with the pilots and he was excited when they gave him "wings" just like they had (a small pin with pilot insignia). Both kids acted well on the flight.
Asher was VERY excited to see his cousin Jason. He repeatedly asked people on the flight if they were going to Jason's house too.
We spent the afternoon and night we arrived at "Jason's house" ie. Rob's sister Heidi's house, who was kind enough to let us stay at her house and visit.

The Hinman clan in Utah gathered together for a potluck dinner the first night to celebrate the multiple birthdays that occur  in July and August. It was great chatting with Rob's cousins, who I tend to only see once ever 3 or 4 years. I wish it were more often as they are great people.
Left to Righ: Cousin Peter, Mom Hinman, Adrienne, Jenny, Uncle Paul, Dad Hinman
Thursday
We headed out to the Wilkerson reunion at the Moonlake Resort in the Uintah mountains. On a sheet sent to us in advance my aunt had specifically written in bold not to follow the GPS, but of course I figured that the GPS probably knew better then my aunt so I plugged in the name and we headed off. Well, needless to say, I should have followed my aunt's directions. We ended up on a dirt road and were stopped by signs stating that only Ute tribal members were allowed along with other stronger language stating the same idea.
Unfriendly Signage
It didn't exactly look friendly so we decided to turn around and find another way to the resort. The problem was, since we had followed the GPS unit we had no idea where we were! So, we ended up wandering for about 2 hours until some kind local people ended up directing us to the resort that was only 20 minutes from our original location. Needless to say, we all felt very relieved when we arrived.

My parents had rented a 2 room cabin for us to share so we were spared camping with the kids. Don't get me wrong, I do want my kids to be campers, but I didn't want to start when I knew we wouldn't be sleeping much the whole rest of the week.

While at the reunion we didn't love the black flies that bit us, caused skin infections and scars to form. We didn't love Jacqueline's sickness. We did love the cute ground squirrels that we were not supposed to feed (that ate out of Rob's hand)...
Ground squirrel that sneaked into the cabin.
the cabin...
Cabin my parents rented for us all
views...
View from cabin doorway 
comfortable accommodations...
View from front to back: Parents room, kitchen and dining room, our room. Very cute cabin.
 the company, the fresh air, and the various outdoor activities available.
Rob walking with Jacqueline to the beach
We paddled around Moon Lake with my mom as navigator, Rob and I as motors, and Asher and Jacqueline as passengers. Later we switched and my dad navigated, my mom and I paddled, Asher was a passenger (again). Where was Rob and Jacqueline?  Graduate school doesn't end, even in the summer when you are on vacation with your family and there is no internet connection, so Rob was working on schoolwork after putting Jacqueline down for a nap. His evening at the reunion were also spent doing schoolwork while I chatted with family. Poor guy.

Anyhow, paddling the paddle boat was a lot of work! It was as hard as some of my runs. But, enjoyable nonetheless.
A cousin let me try his kayak and amazingly I didn't spill out (I wouldn't know what to do if I had!). Asher wanted to try his hand at kayaking as well but he needs to wait a couple of years and take some swimming lessons first.

My Uncle Rex brings his horses to almost every family reunion so Rob, Asher and I enjoyed a ride.
Asher enjoyed playing on the beach with Grandma and Grandpa. Asher loved knocking over the castles Grandpa made. Boy? Absolutely.
Lots of dirt and he's loving it.
The Lemon and Bruce Wilkerson families were in charge of breakfast one of the mornings so Rob jumped in and helped of course. A fancy breakfast up in the mountains since my dad shipped Ohio maple syrup to my Aunt Louise and thus to the reunion.
 The parents, uncles and aunts hangin' out.
Front to Back: Aunt Marie, Uncle Neil, Mom, someone reading a newspaper, Uncle Rex
 Another beautiful view
It was great visiting with cousins I used to hang out with and getting to know other cousins, and their wives, that I didn't know quite as well growing up. I'm already looking forward to attending another one in a few years. Thanks for the great memories Wilkerson family!

No comments: