Saturday, March 24, 2012

New Year, New Garden Hopes

I am excited about this new year for gardening. As the weather has been a bit warmer than usual I was able to start planting earlier. We had our last frost come through this week so I covered a few of my plants with plastic as a mini-greenhouse. Hopefully I win the war against the dreaded vine borer bug this time and can harvest a few squashes.

Asher helped by turning over the soil with his mini shovel, and placing seeds in the holes I created for them (it's the same action as feeding his fish).

I didn't want him to grow up afraid of bugs so I introduced him to an earthworm that somehow survived shaking and throwing.

Continuing my work I checked on him a few seconds later and found something similar to this:

In case you can't tell, that's a worm hanging from the shovel, in his mouth. They probably look a lot like spaghetti. No, he didn't bite into any of the worms he found over the next two days, but half hanging out of his mouth made a good storage spot.

After we planted the garden I realized that although you can teach and train a child more than you think, there are limitations. Keeping a boy out of the dirt, all the time, especially if he spends a lot of time in the backyard is one of them so we finally bought him a Christmas present: a sandbox.

1 comment:

Heidi Perez said...

I'm so glad you got a picture of that worm!