Friday, April 27, 2012

Class of 1937 Naval Academy Reunion

Rob, Asher and I attended his grandfather's class of 1937 reunion at the Naval Academy with Rob's parents. Although his grandfather father passed away sometime ago, Rob's mom has stayed in close contact with the surviving members of this class and this led to an invitation to attend with them.

The surviving members and their spouses

We drove a couple of hours to Annapolis in the morning and attended the memorial service, which was held in the architecturally neat St. Andrews Cathedral . Rob's mother was asked to read the names of those who had died since the last reunion and a few select others.

 
Later we went to the Academy's museum, which had hundreds of model ships and other neat displays. If I hadn't have been feeling so tired I would have enjoyed it as much as Rob did.
That afternoon, after a quick nap in Mom and Dad's hotel room for Asher and I, we were able to see a really neat dress parade. At one point Asher started making a squealing sound, and I realized that is was because of all the whistle blowing.


The next day Rob attended a formal dinner while I stayed home to take care of Asher. At the dinner the class committee gave the class president, Captain Jack Slaughter, a neat wood chair with a plaque and his wife a beautiful scarf with "The President's First Mate Extraordinaire" embroidered on it. Cake, great food, and good conversation made the evening a success.

Mom and Dad stopped by to stay at our house that evening to stay that night and we enjoyed having them visit.

No comments: