Sunday, September 18, 2011

2011 Garden

Some of you may remember my garden from last year when my whole garden was in pots. Since we are now in a townhouse with a good size backyard I was able to upgrade a bit.

We even had a visitor soon after Rob made and installed the boxes for me (a baby possum)
We planted a bit of everything: broccoli, tomatoes, yellow and green squash, beans, radishes, beets, peas, carrots, lettuce, herbs, potatoes, etc. I learned a lot this year which means my garden next year will be more productive.

One thing I learned is to not just leave the pretty bug on your squash plant. While everyone else was complaining about their overproducing zucchini plants, I was lamenting the loss of all my plants. That "pretty bug" ended up being a vine borer which decimated my squash plants and left posterity for me to contend with.

There are so many gospel teachings I learned as well, and from the vine borer I learned that evil, no matter how good it looks, is always evil. And, if you let it in, it's consequences will haunt you for a long time.

Anyway, yesterday I harvested sweet potatoes, basil, carrots, and beans. Yeah for gardening!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Love your garden looks wonderful!

Heidi Perez said...

WOW!! That garden is aMAzing!

I don't know you get these in your parts, but there's a bug we get hear called squash bug. And you can find their eggs by turning over the leaves and finding little groups of tiny copper-colored beads. They're pretty but not when they hatch!

Ricky and Mindy said...

Look at how big he is getting. What a cute kid you have. We really miss you guys and hope everything is going well.

Ricky